Ozzily Yours

Saturday, July 09, 2011

Witch

Really? A cauldron of bubbling green witch's brew? Really? I'm glad Sunnydale's witches got a little less obvious in later years. Still, though, props for the very first use of black eyes=evil witch.

I remain surprised that, given Charisma Carpenter's cheerleading past, she doesn't get more to do in this episode (or, well, ever in the realm of cheerleading). But maybe that's just because I have a weird obsession with competitive cheerleading (seriously, just this morning I was trying to teach my son spirit fingers... "THESE are spirit fingers, and THESE are GOLD!").

While the obvious parallel to the main storyline (Amy/Mom witchery, cheerleading) is that of Joyce trying to relate to Buffy, I was also struck by the fact that Giles' paternal instincts towards Buffy began to take shape so early - I really liked the moment when, getting Buffy prepared for the moment when the spell which was weakening her would be broken, he didn't just lie her down; instead, he put his tweed jacket under her head as a pillow and told her everything would be okay. Clearly indicative of where things would go over the next seven years.

4 Comments:

  • I've told you the story of when my friend met Alyson Hannigan and she (Alyson) said that technically, the show jumped the shark with this episode because it featured no vampires, thus negating the entire premise, right?

    Also, we may have to make a pilgrimage to see the "Bring It On" musical somewhere on its tour.

    By Blogger Adam807, at 7/10/2011 5:36 PM  

  • Ah, but I was struck by the fact that they do sort of own the other beasties - in that, at the end of Harvest, Giles mentions that the hellmouth means they will encounter all kinds of creatures in addition to vampires.

    And yes, we may have to. But I'll tell you right now, I'm boycotting if the opening cheer isn't included in the show. (Hate us 'cause we're beautiful, well, we don't like you either! We're cheerleaders!)

    By Blogger mcm, at 7/10/2011 6:10 PM  

  • Well, it's not strictly an adaptation of the movie, it's "inspired" by it. So I don't know that it has anything from the film.

    By Blogger Adam807, at 7/10/2011 6:51 PM  

  • All I'm saying is, when you've got GOLD, you go with it. GOLD.

    By Blogger mcm, at 7/10/2011 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home