Ozzily Yours

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ozzily, Indeed

On Saturday, the husband and I attended a lecture at the Newberry Library here in Chicago (incidentally, also the site of our wedding almost two years ago... but that's a story for another day). We felt like such grown-ups... and, as such, I'm sure you're very intimidated, but prepare for that feeling to stop. The topic of the lecture was "L. Frank Baum and the Wizard of Oz."

I've been a lover of Oz since I was a little girl, when my dad used to read to me from the books he had received as a little boy. I saw the 1939 musical early and often, and recently came across a photo of myself - no more than 4 years old - dressed up as Dorothy for Halloween. It's a long-standing love, and one that others have nurtured through gifts of Oz-themed jewelry, clothing, artwork, music, and books.

Recently, I mentioned to a friend that the film had abandoned Baum's silver slippers in favor of ruby slippers in order to fully leverage the then-brand-new technology of Technicolor. This friend (who is incredibly bright and knowledgeable about many, many things) thought about it, and mused, "You're probably right." The husband later informed me that it was hard for him not to lean over and inform her, "No, seriously - if it's Oz-related? She's definitely right."

I've explored the history and impact of the books and of the film somewhat extensively, so I was thrilled to see that this lecture would be offered by Angelica Carpenter, author of The Royal Historian of Oz, and current president of the International Wizard of Oz Club (of which I am not a member... I haven't gone quite that far yet). Clearly, I had to buy a copy of her book (as well as one for Dad - a Fathers' Day gift), and was pleased that she was sitting right there willing to sign them.

She wrote nice personalized notes in both books, and signed them, "Ozzily Yours, Angelica Carpenter." So when, this morning, I decided it was time to find a way to start putting proverbial pen to proverbial paper, "ozzily" popped into my head (I briefly considered "ozzy," but decided I wasn't ready to welcome all that many stray metal fans to the blog... except Moth, of course - hi, Moth!).

And there you have it. The explanations of the wherefore behind the blog and its title done with, I now feel free to just spew about whatever pops into mind. Here's hoping it's something worthwhile one of these days....

3 Comments:

  • Hi! :)

    A bit of a question, if your blog doesn't have a friends lock like LJ does, you may want to be careful about work rants. And if it does have a friend lock, I guess I will have to set up a lurking account so you could add me.
    If you chose to.
    You could snub me.
    It's okay.
    Really, I don't mind.
    Fine!
    F-you!
    I don't want to read your stinking blog anyway!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2006 9:40 AM  

  • Nah, no real rants here, just the usual day-in-day-out frustration that gets to everybody. Thanks for your concern, though! (And really, Moth, would I lock you out? Of my home, maybe... of my blog? Never!)

    By Blogger mcm, at 6/21/2006 10:08 AM  

  • "And really, Moth, would I lock you out? Of my home, maybe..."

    But that would just force me to break in. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/22/2006 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home