Ozzily Yours

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Save Bitch!



OK, I never imagined I'd be promoting a cause here, especially given that I have all of about 4 readers... but I think Bitch Magazine (subtitle: Feminist Response to Pop Culture) is a really important voice in today's climate, where feminism is either dismissed as irrelevant/outdated, dismissed as women being a bunch of whiny dykes or, in the last few weeks, weirdly co-opted by a woman whose history doesn't seem to imply all that much concern for women's rights.

I think Broadsheet puts it better than I can:

Bitch's themed issues -- on such broad and varied subjects as "Risk" and "Maturity & Immaturity" -- dissect the arts, the media and the larger cultural conversation through the lenses of gender and sexuality. The quarterly magazine is one of a very few remaining sources of sensible, contemporary, long-form feminist critique. While I don't always agree with Bitch's articles, the magazine unfailingly challenges me to think harder about the films I watch, the music I listen to, the news I read and the culture I live in.

Even if you don't give, check Bitch out, and tell other folks about it. I would consider just exposing more people to their awesome work an important victory....

1 Comments:

  • "Give Money To Bitch To Make Weiner Grow"

    If that isn't a spam e-mail title begging to make the rounds, I don't know what is!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2008 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home