Ozzily Yours

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pop Culture Clash

My office is on the 17th floor. That should prevent me from hearing street level traffic. However, either the wind is blowing in a very strange way, or there's a street performer with a saxophone on the 16th floor, because I've been hearing this guy for the last half hour. He's got a whole medley going on, and most of it I can tune out. However, every time it catches my ear, it's because he's playing the theme from "Sanford & Son." What's particularly annoying, though, is that my brain then fills in the words that Turk sang to Carla in an episode of Scrubs a few seasons back:

"Quiet down now
It is time to watch the show
See, it's starting -
Don't be licking me no mo'
Matter of fact, could you get me a handy wi-iiiiipe?"

You can see where this would be distracting, I'm sure....

ETA: In the middle of the night, I realized I mixed up my '70s-era sitcoms when I first identified the song in question as the theme to "Archie Bunker." The error has been rectified.

3 Comments:

  • Isn't it weird how some things stick with you like that? For me it is My Fellow Americans when James Garner gives us what he used as the words for Hail to the Chief. :) (I will be honest, I typically only remember the first line)

    Hail to the chief, if you don't, I'll have to kill you. I am the chief, so you better watch your step, you bastards.**

    **I imagine Bush thinks similarly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/29/2007 5:51 AM  

  • See, I always go to Kevin Kline in Dave:

    Hail to the chief, he's he one we all say hail to, hail to the chief, because he is so clean, he's got the power, that's why he's in the shower....

    By Blogger mcm, at 3/29/2007 7:16 AM  

  • Sanford and Son helps it make more sense now. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/29/2007 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home