Ozzily Yours

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Proving the Stereotype Yet Again

So the husband wrote a post yesterday about sitting down at a law library table only to find some other scholar had left behind a Milton Friedman text. My response was something to the extent of, well, yeah. Duh. You're at the University of Chicago. He, on the other hand, thought it was a rather funny observation about how stereotypes are true.

And it wasn't until THIS MORNING that it occurred to me that I, a University of Chicago alum myself, not only didn't question that the book was there... but I also know Milton Friedman's basic economic perspective, and why he's adored at the University of Chicago (although I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, especially given that I know people who adore his theories so much they founded a Milton Friedman Society while we were in business school), and a fair amount about alternative economic theses as well.

Whereas I suspect that quite a lot of folks may not actually know who Milton Friedman is.

And I realized that stereotypes are, in fact, true. I still don't think that makes it funny, though. I just think it makes me a big nerd.

4 Comments:

  • What I think is most lovely about the world is that, in this situation, it both makes it funny, and makes you a big nerd!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2006 2:22 PM  

  • Ah, well, you always knew the latter to be true... so I'm just glad you found it somewhat amusing!

    By Blogger mcm, at 10/11/2006 2:29 PM  

  • Stop making fun of me. My 2nd edition copy is in my attic. I hide it up there with my neon leg warmers.

    By Blogger Mrs. J, at 10/12/2006 11:17 AM  

  • I don't know the book or author, at least not by just the names, but I will still think of you as a nerd if that helps. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/13/2006 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home