Ozzily Yours

Monday, May 14, 2007

"Our lives are different than other people's."

OK, so that quote is attributable to Oz on Buffy, and I will readily admit that my life is not all about demon killing and dark magic... but do you ever have that moment where all you can think is, "One of these things is not like the other... and it's me"? It's happened to me quite a lot recently.

1. Chatting with a coworker a few weeks ago, he asked what my weekend plans were, and I told him: "I'm having Korean night with my friends! We're going out for Korean fried chicken, then going to see The Host." "The Hoax? The Richard Gere movie?" "No, you know, the Korean horror flick that's supposed to be AMAZING." This was met with silence and, in ensuing weeks, statements about how he's not into "art-house movies" like I am.

2. At a baby shower last weekend, I realized I was one of only two women of my generation there without children. Actually, that means I was one of only two women there at all without children. And I know the other one is working on having children. Hmmm.... Anyway, at some point, conversation turned to movies, and one woman declared, "I haven't seen anything in theaters that wasn't a kids' movie since 1997" and everyone else chimed in with a similar statement. I decided not to mention that I had gone to 28 Weeks Later the night before. I'm pretty sure it's not appropriate for children, anyway.

3. Sat through a long conversation about golf this morning. Contributed nothing.

5 Comments:

  • You have hit upon some of the reasons I am planning my solo trip to Boston in August. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/14/2007 6:32 PM  

  • This is a very nice post, and I want to see how others react to this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2007 12:05 AM  

  • You sound just like almost everyone I know. Sounds like you just need cooler coworkers. And avoid baby showers. Those people travel in packs, with horrible screaming drooling pooping germy creatures in tow.

    By Blogger Adam807, at 5/16/2007 7:32 AM  

  • Believe me, I would avoid all baby showers for all time if it were feasible. (Wedding showers too, for that matter.) However, when the one being showered is a close relative, you kind of need a better excuse than "I don't wanna."

    By Blogger mcm, at 5/16/2007 8:40 AM  

  • "However, when the one being showered is a close relative, you kind of need a better excuse than "I don't wanna." "


    -"It's okay for the mom-to-be if I accidentally expose her to toxiplasmosis, right?"

    -"Would love to be there, but I have found pus and wedding showers don't mix."

    -"Sorry, I can't attend, I have smallpox."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2007 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home