Ozzily Yours

Monday, June 25, 2007

Greens, Greens, and Nothing but Greens....

So the husband and I joined a CSA - a community-supported agriculture program. Or, rather, I joined a CSA with money that belongs to both of us, and he thought that was a dandy idea as long as I continue to cook while he does the dishes. And I was VERY excited. After reading What to Eat and The Omnivore's Dilemma and all kinds of other foodie journalism, I was really quite thrilled with the idea of uber-fresh, locally-grown produce.

But truth be told, I was a little nervous, too. "You realize," I told the husband over and over, "this means we can't just bag on dinner and order out on a whim. We have to actually EAT this stuff. That's the point." He seemed unperturbed, so I continued forward with the plan, secretly wondering if would have the wherewithal to turn a giant box of vegetables into... you know, food.

I am pleased to report that, after our first delivery last Wednesday, I have cooked pasta with kale and arugula; cous-cous with chickpeas, kale, and spinach; a delectable spinach-artichoke-goat-cheese sandwich; a beautiful, ginormous salad (though the husband could have done without quite so many radishes); and a rhubarb-strawberry crisp. Also, fried eggs, at which time we discovered that farm-fresh eggs really ARE better than grocery store eggs. I still have a few lettuce leaves and sprouts to use up (but those will likely go on sandwiches), as well as some scallions, chives, and strawberries... but overall, I am pleased with my efforts.

3 Comments:

  • Don't fall behind like we did. :)

    We try to eat what we get in our farmshares, and it is the small portion, and there are still times things go bad. We have lost some lettuce, lost both swiss chards, and the fava beans. I think some other things as well.

    And I agree, farm fresh eggs are soooooo much better compared to store bought. :) If you have eggs, scallions, and chives, it sounds like a quiche is just begging to be born. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2007 6:29 AM  

  • A quiche may well be in the cards. Or a big ol' omelet. We'll see.

    The nice thing about our small share is that it's just the regular share delivered every other week rather than weekly. So even though some of the lettuce is now getting a tiny bit wilty, I'm comfortable that we will be able to finish it before the next delivery comes.

    By Blogger mcm, at 6/26/2007 2:46 PM  

  • I just got our share today. Green beans, yukon gold potatoes, two heads of lettuce (some type of firm leaf lettuce), some summer squash/zucchini, and some cucumbers.

    I am happy about the potatoes and have to figure out how I am going to cook them. Since Amy doesn't like potatoes I rarely buy them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2007 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home