Ozzily Yours

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Puppet Show

I'm not really a gamer, in that it's pretty rare for me to get addicted to a game and, frankly, most of the time I don't see the point. Every now and then, though, something comes along that really catches my fancy. One of my favorite gaming periods came when we got a copy of the Buffy game, Chaos Bleeds. Not because it's a particularly good game - it's kind of not, though it's fun to explore virtual Sunnydale - but because I really liked being Sid the puppet. SID! He's so silly! And his little arms are like windmills when he runs!

Anyway, it goes back to a longstanding affection for Sid. Not only did he make for a terrific red herring, he was a fun character beyond that. As Buffy says, "Horny dummy, ha ha, it's very funny." And she's right! "You're strong, athletic, limber... nubile.... I'm back." It's a quote that frequently makes the rounds in our house.

I'm pleased that it remains a pretty strong episode overall. It's got some good twists, and some good Scooby gang cooperation. Also of note: Cordelia singing "The Greatest Love of All," which comes back years later in an "Angel" episode; the first appearance of Armin Shimerman as Principal Snyder; and the Oedipus performance by Xander, Buffy, and Willow that plays over the closing credits, which is comedic genius all on its own.

In other news, I have just realized that my determination to keep plowing through these episodes is keeping me from, while I work, watching Can't Hardly Wait, Harold and Kumar, and/or Bring It On. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home