Ozzily Yours

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Halloween

I like the fact that, while Giles continues to insist that very little supernatural activity occurs on Halloween, the seven seasons featured three Halloween-themed episodes. For my money, the haunted frat house in season 4 is a better episode (due partly to SMG's terrible old-timey acting here), but, again, I like this for what it sets up - Willow and Oz, for one; Ethan Rayne, for another ("Hello, Ripper!"), and Giles' dark past; also, Larry (though I suspect his arc was an afterthought).

On another note, the angry feminist in me can't help but harp on the fact that, when Buffy is rhapsodizing about how great it must have been to be a noblewoman, Willow replies, "I prefer being able to vote"... and Buffy, in response, does her best to convince Willow to dress like a whore. Which she eventually does. I know Joss Whedon is all about girl power, but I'm bugged by the mixed messages here, clearly.

Sure, they try to make up for it by showing us how much cooler today's Buffy is than her 18th c. incarnation (who spouts such drivel as "I'm a proper lady, I'm not meant to understand things," and "Surely some men will protect us!"). But that stuff is so heavy-handed it's just... meh.

4 Comments:

  • But isn't it empowering whoredom??

    By Blogger Adam807, at 8/24/2011 4:31 PM  

  • I am pleased that Willow gains self-confidence. I am less pleased by the fact that, left to her own devices, that is not how she would have gained it.

    By Blogger mcm, at 8/24/2011 5:04 PM  

  • True, she gains it through Oz. All she needed was a man!

    By Blogger Adam807, at 8/24/2011 6:53 PM  

  • Well, and a lady, but that's later on.

    I like to think this episode was a step toward Xander's self-confidence too. He trades on the army knowledge for forever afterward (providing "What's that do?"), plus: "Beating up that pirate gave me a weird sense of closure."

    By Blogger blerg3000, at 8/25/2011 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home